Karl Hartung

Karl HartungFlügelsäule, 1960/61, bronze, height 300 cm, Photo: Bernd Borchardt

Wing forms were a major theme of Karl Hartung by the 1930s. Since 1935 he developed works between figuration and biomorphic abstraction in Henry Moore‘s sense of the term. A year later Hartung moved to Berlin. After military service and wartime imprisonment – in 1943 he was able to visit Picasso – he was appointed to the reopened Hochschule für Bildende Künste in Berlin. From 1959 to 1964 he serves as deputy director of that art academy. He participates in all the major international art exhibitions such as documenta, Venice biennial, Sao Paulo and the Brussels World‘s Fair. Key concerns in his understanding of a figure striving for levity are defying gravity, organic forms of growth analogous to nature and transitions from the inner to the outer. In the summer of 2012, Haus am Waldsee will host a solo exhibition of Karl Hartung‘s works.